The Cabinet Secretary heads the Cabinet Office portfolio. His role and that of his office are laid out in the Cayman Islands Constitution Order 2009, section 48.
- There shall be—
- a Cabinet Office, which shall be an office in the Government; and
- a Cabinet Secretary, whose office shall be a public office, who shall be a person who is a Caymanian and who shall be appointed by the Governor, acting after consultation with the Premier.
- The Cabinet Secretary shall have charge of the Cabinet Office
- The responsibilities of the Cabinet Secretary shall include—
- providing frank and politically neutral advice to the Governor, the Cabinet and the Premier on matters of policy;
- co-ordinating the development and implementation of policy between departments and ministerial portfolios and across the wider Government sector to ensure that Government policy is developed coherently;
- providing for administrative and secretarial support for the Cabinet and the Premier in order to allow high-quality and effective government;
- arranging the business for, and keeping the minutes of, the meetings of the Cabinet or any Cabinet committee and conveying the conclusions reached at the meetings to the appropriate person or authority; and the Cabinet Secretary shall have such other functions as the Governor, after consultation with the Premier, may from time to time direct.
- The Cabinet Secretary shall also—
- transmit copies of all papers submitted for consideration by the Cabinet or any Cabinet committee to the Governor and all members of the Cabinet;
- inform the Governor and all members of the Cabinet of the summoning of any meeting of the Cabinet or any Cabinet committee and of the matters to be discussed at any meeting of the Cabinet or any Cabinet committee; and
- furnish the Governor and all members of the Cabinet, as soon as practicable after each meeting of the Cabinet or any Cabinet committee, with a copy of the confirmed minutes of the previous meeting showing the matters discussed and the conclusions reached at the meeting.